Re: Eliot Lear to Serve as RFC Editor Future Development Program Chair

Hi Mike,

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:47 PM Michael StJohns <mstjohns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/25/2020 1:50 PM, IAB Executive Administrative Manager wrote:
> The IAB has selected Eliot Lear to serve as chair of the RFC Editor
> Future Development Program [1].
>
> The IAB thanks all of the candidates who were willing to serve. This was
> a difficult decision with many strong candidates.
>
> Like an IETF working group, this program will have completely open
> participation. The program will use the mailing list
> rfced-future@xxxxxxx. To subscribe, please go to
>
> Future details about the operation of the program will be coming
> shortly.
>
> [1] https://www.iab.org/activities/programs/rfc-editor-future-development-program/

To satisfy my curiosity - could the IAB give us some idea of its
thinking in selecting Eliot?

The IAB followed the same process it uses for many appointments:  it solicited volunteers (and then extended the deadline for volunteers), asked them for statements of interests, in some cases held conversations with them, and solicited comments from the community.  The details of that community feedback and those discussions with the candidates are confidential, as are most personnel discussions.

While I appreciate Eliot's attributes, I would have thought Neville -
who has substantial experience as the ISE, or John - who was a
substantial contributor to the original process that led to us hiring
Heather or some combination of the two* would have been a slam dunk
choice.   I may not have all the details on Eliot's experience related
to editing and publication.

*AIRC, there was substantial desire expressed by the community for this
program to be led by co-chairs rather than a single person

This selection was made by the outgoing IAB (https://www.iab.org/documents/minutes/minutes-2020/iab-minutes-2020-03-04/).  The next IAB may decide that a second chair selection round would be useful, and there has some discussion among the large group (outgoing, ongoing, and incoming) on that point.

Feel free to take this as a question (perhaps the first question) for
the Plenary.

regards,

Ted Hardie

Mike