Re: [MBONED] MBONE Deployment (mboned) WG Virtual Meeting: 2020-04-21

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 2:25 PM Nick Hilliard <nick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dino Farinacci wrote on 26/03/2020 20:24:
> An (S,G) entry is a route. You know modern routers can support many
> orders of magnitude of 1000 routes. I am answering your question of
> scale in terms of number of routes. If you mean something else, than
> just say so.

this is kinda the problem though: multicast resource usage on
intermediate routers scales according to the number of sessions going
through those routers.  The more sessions, the more state that the
routers need to maintain.  This is fundamentally different from unicast
where it doesn't matter to the router how many sessions or data flows
are passing through it.

We tried session based routing years ago.  It was an interesting idea at
the time but it didn't work at scale.

Nick

Yes, and your IGP won't scale globally either. Fortunately solutions evolve so we don't need to just bash the past.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8279/

- Shep