Re: NomCom eligibility & IETF 107

On 26 Mar 2020, at 12:54, Salz, Rich wrote:

I didn't understand your words, but subsequent emails make me think you are
    saying:
            107 occured.
People who signed bluesheets on more than one day attended.

Mostly.  I want to get the largest pool of candidates.

So 107 is a Heisenberg meeting.
People who signed the etherpad on more than one day get to count 107 in 3 of 5.
	People who did not, get counted from 102-106 for their 3 of 5.

I realize that defining a Heisenmeeting would probably make some people uncomfortable. But I view it as just accepting the reality.

If we really want the largest pool of candidates, I don't think we have to be so cute; just make it 3 of 6 for the 2020-2021 NomCom only and define "attendance" for IETF 107. Bob Hinden convinced me that since 107 had so few sessions, it's not useful to just treat it as a normal meeting, and 3 of 6 solves that issue. We seem to have some momentum toward dealing with remote participation generally, so really the only NomCom for which we have to worry about making rules immediately is the 2020-2021 NomCom. So let's just write a soon-to-be-obsolete BCP that says:

A. IETF 107 became a remote meeting at the last minute and therefore had minimal sessions scheduled and less-than-average attendance.

B. For the 2020-2021 NomCom, we don't want the above fact to interfere with NomCom eligibility.

C. Therefore, with regard to the 2020-2021 NomCom selection, IETF 107 hereby qualifies as an "IETF meeting" for purposes of Volunteer Qualification in RFC 8713 Section 4.14.

D. For purposes of Volunteer Qualification in RFC 8713 Section 4.14, "attended" and "attendance" at IETF 107 is defined as having one's name on the Etherpad attendance list or being in the recorded Webex participant list of any X sessions held remotely at IETF 107. [Personally, I couldn't care less what X is; any X>=1 is fine with me.]

E. With regard to the 2020-2021 NomCom selection, in the Volunteer Qualification of RFC 8713 Section 4.14 is three out of the last six meetings instead of three out of the last five. As in RFC 8713 Section 4.14, the six meetings are the six most recent meetings that ended prior to the date on which the solicitation for NomCom volunteers was submitted for distribution to the IETF community.

Then we clean things up with a proper BCP that defines eligibility for remote participants, and obsolete the above.

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best