Re: United Nations report on Internet standards

On 24 Mar 2020, at 3:26, Fred Baker wrote:

Translation in single syllable words potentially understandable by mere mortals: they would like us to talk with them - not in marketing language, but in policy language. Is that so very hard?

To answer to your question, Fred: I think that for some of us, it's not so very hard, but for the vast majority of us, it really is hard. Which is ostensibly why we have one group of folks that, among many other things, are actually chartered to be our external liaison:

   The IAB acts as representative of the interests of the IETF and the
   Internet Society in technical liaison relationships with other
   organizations concerned with standards and other technical and
   organizational issues relevant to the world-wide Internet.

The IAB should be selected to be able to do that translation into policy language. (We should probably be telling the Nomcom that this is a requirement for at least some of them.) And even when they don't have a particular skill, the have the ability to set up a liaison to do so.

I tend to agree that the IETF itself shouldn't be the one doing policy communication with UN bodies.

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best