United Nations report on Internet standards

Hello,

I am not sure of which IETF list is appropriate for this. It concerns relationships with non-technical stakeholders and their representation in the standards-making process, a matter that has been popping up here and there in several places (for example, in the discussion of draft-iab-for-the-users, or in HRPC).

The Internet Governance Forum of the United Nations commissioned a study to understand the reasons for the lack of adoption of Internet standards that are fundamental for security, mentioning DNSSEC and RPKI among others. I was not involved in the study, but the report came out a few days ago:

https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/index.php?q=filedepot_download/9615/2023

It formulates (section 8.1) six recommendations, of which the sixth is specifically aimed at the IETF and other Internet standards organizations:

"Standardisation processes are advised to include a consultation phase with government and industry policy makers, and civil society experts."

There is also a page (section 7.13) discussing "Communication from/to the IETF", and how to make it better.

As I am active both here and at the IGF, I would be interested in comments and reactions. I have been asked to organize a session on this at the next EuroDIG, the European preparatory conference for the global IGF, and it would be good to have people from the IETF in it. So feel free to send me your opinions.

--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx