Re: NomCom eligibility & IETF 107

Barry,

> On Mar 13, 2020, at 7:43 AM, Barry Leiba <barryleiba@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Thanks, John: that's a valid third choice, and I think it could be workable.
>
> On the other hand, noting this:
>
>> The difficulty with simply ignoring IETF 107 is that, while it
>> was fairly arbitrary, that "five meeting" rule was intended to
>> restrict the Nomcom to recent participants, not just those who
>> have participated.  Whether that was the right way to accomplish
>> that goal or the right formula is part of the longer-term
>> question, but it seems to me that pushing the formula to what
>> would effectively a "three of the last six normal meeting
>> cycles" is not a change we should make lightly.
>
> Speaking for myself only and not for the IESG as a whole: as the IESG
> noted in the message, this is a one-time thing to deal with the
> imminent formation of this year's NomCom.  I would absolutely agree
> with you about making a lasting change.  I have no heartburn at all
> about making a decision now for this cycle, which decision might be a
> slight variation on the BCP rules.

My preference is to count remote attendance at the plenary as having attended the meeting for NomCom eligibility.   That’s where, I assume, the leadership transition is going to be happening as well as other IETF organizational issues will be presented.   I think this is better than the other alternatives.

Bob