Re: How about the IETF 107 T-Shirts ?

--On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 18:54 -0400 Phillip Hallam-Baker
<phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Keep them for Madrid which will now be IETF 107.
>
> Of course, now that I have pointed that out, a virtual IETF
> may well be inescapable even if it is only a proforma virtual
> plenary.
>
> That would address John's point about seating the new IESG.

Just my opinion, but I don't think you can have it both ways.
If the new IESG (and so on) are seated this month, as I think we
are all expecting it will be, then that is IETF 107, no matter
how virtual.

I hope the IESG could then do some fancy footwork to allow those
who have been proud of perfect, or near-perfect, attendance
records for many years of IETF meetings to claim attendance at
IETF 107.   Perhaps the combination of having registered and
paid the registration fee (even if it was later refunded) and
remotely attending the plenary as a participant would be a
reasonable formula, but I trust we can count on the IESG to come
up with something reasonable.

As to the shirts themselves if they are printed already, I'd
hope the LLC and the sponsor could arrange to have them shipped
to California, that they could be appropriately overprinted with
"not in" before "Vancouver" and/or "Virtual" or "Cancelled" in
some appropriate locations, and that the Secretariat (or
sometone contracted by the LLC) could then sell them at a
premium price, perhaps offering a discount to anyone who had
registered and paid the registration fee.  If they haven't been
printed yet, perhaps a press run of nicely-designed shirts
saying "IETF 107: Somewhere in Cyberspace" or equivalent.   The
sale price for the shirts could help the LLC reduce the deficit
caused by canceling the meeting, even of only very slightly.

I think I'm joking about the above, by I'm not sure.

But I do sincerely hope that, of all of the problems this
cancellation will cause and issues it will raise, the situation
with the T-Shirts will turn out, in the long run. to be the
worst and most complicated.

best,
    john