Re: IETF 107 Vancouver In-Person Meeting Cancelled

Le 10/03/2020 à 20:14, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ a écrit :
I don't think this is right.

Not having an official ban from the Canada authorities makes
impossible to get a refund for:

I suspect Canada authority has no ban on travel because WHO (World
Health Organisation, and 'OMS' in French) has not advised so.

The March 7th advice from WHO with respect to travel can be digged out
of the web site.  A phrase says "We must stop, contain, control, delay
and reduce the impact of this virus at every opportunity. Every person
has the capacity to contribute, to protect themselves, to protect
others, whether in the home, the community, the healthcare system, the
workplace or the transport system."

As I read it, they put the responsibility on individuals, who would in
turn expect decision responsibility from them.  Could be a loop.

A possible way to scape from the loop would be if Canada told WHO they
need a decision.  Canada could need a decision because there are some
problems.  Some of the problems relate to individuals and small and
medium enterprise being hit with risk of loosing money, effectively
another way to 'kill' SMEs.

That matter is as urgent as the other medical needs, because if not
dealt with in time it might bite back badly.

That is a matter between Canada and WHO.

Canada is a representative organisation, their leaders represent
majorities.  A Canadian should contact Canada.  I suppose only Canadians
could contact Canada gov't.  I suppose travellers to Canada are not
Canadians.  This is a problem.

A way to escape this problem might be a need to contact directly WHO,
and skip Canada.

The press contact at WHO about this matter is:
Tarik Jasarevic <jasarevict@xxxxxxx>

If you make contact, I am ready to co-sign, because I think I share the
feeling of your IETF situation as you present it.

Alex

1) Flight 2) Hotel

So, for those that have paid that from their own pocket, in advance,
to make it cheaper, is the IETF insurance going to cover that?

Regards, Jordi @jordipalet

El 10/3/20 20:11, "IETF-Announce en nombre de The IESG"
<ietf-announce-bounces@xxxxxxxx en nombre de iesg@xxxxxxxx>
escribió:

The IESG and the IRTF Chair have decided to cancel the in-person IETF
107 Vancouver meeting. This decision is based on input we gathered
from Working Group (WG) and Research Group (RG) chairs about our
ability to hold productive WG and RG sessions at IETF 107. Our
assessment of this feedback is that a majority of sessions would not
be viable if we were to hold the in-person IETF meeting. On this
basis, we believe we cannot hold an effective in-person meeting.

As a result of this cancellation, the in-person Hackathon, Code
Sprint, all other in-person events planned for the weekend of March
21-22, the chairs training scheduled for March 20, and all other
in-person sessions during the week are cancelled.

The IESG is working on an alternative all-virtual agenda for the week
of March 21-27 with a limited schedule adapted to accommodate the
time zones of as many participants as possible. We are also planning
to support an increased volume of virtual interim meetings during the
weeks that follow. We will send another update to the community soon
with more information about these plans. The Hackathon organizers are
also considering plans for virtual Hackathon support.

We have re-opened Internet-Draft submissions, which had been closed
on March 9 in anticipation of the in-person meeting. Internet-Drafts
may be submitted at <https://datatracker.ietf.org/submit/>.

A separate announcement from the IETF Executive Director will follow
with details about registration cancellations and refunds.

These are unusual times given the circumstances created by the spread
of COVID-19.  We hope that everyone remains safe and healthy.

Regards, The IESG and the IRTF Chair

********************************************** IPv4 is over Are you
ready for the new Internet ? http://www.theipv6company.com The IPv6
Company

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged
or confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive
use of the individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty
authorized disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents
of this information, even if partially, including attached files, is
strictly prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If you
are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if
partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited, will be
considered a criminal offense, so you must reply to the original
sender to inform about this communication and delete it.