Re: [arch-d] [Int-area] Is IPv6 End-to-End? R.I.P. Architecture? (Fwd: Errata #5933 for RFC8200)

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 8:52 PM Fernando Gont <fgont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 27/2/20 20:58, Robert Raszuk wrote:

[...]
> We need to ask ourselves what is more important ... quality of data
> plane for end users with 10s of ms of connectivity restoration times
> upon failure or keeping original IPv6 dogmas in place where folks never
> envisioned such needs or technologies to be invented.

I don't care myself about dogmas.

But there's an established process to do these things:

* You propose to change the existing behavior, and normally explain
what's that beneficial, and maybe you elaborate on why you are not
pursuing any possible alternatives.

* Once you gain consensus on the changes, you apply them.

That was the OSI model.

The Internet was based on a model of permisive experimentation.

The IETF is a catalyst for generating the necessary critical mass for deployment. But some deployments don't need a catalyst.