Re: [arch-d] [Int-area] Is IPv6 End-to-End? R.I.P. Architecture? (Fwd: Errata #5933 for RFC8200)

On 2/27/20 8:46 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

You have been on this jihad against NAT for decades. In the real world, application designers have to accept NAT is simply a fact of life or their stuff doesn't work.

I'm not going to argue with you about NAT especially since we probably significantly agree about its immediate practical effects.   Where we differ is in our visions of what makes for a well-functioning Internet in the long term.   And I'm not going to argue with you about that either, at least not here.

That IPSEC is a failure as a VPN standard is not an opinion, it is a fact. Every VPN vendor developed their own work-around for the AH debacle and as a result, the built in clients in Windows and Mac are rarely able to connect to an IPSEC VPN. Meanwhile, SSH just works.

The greater failure of IPSEC, IMO, is that it assumes that a host makes sense as an authentication principal.    But that's water that has long since passed under the bridge.

Keith