Re: IETF WG meetings and remote participation

On 2/15/20 4:52 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:

Actually, all the slides can be (and should be) posted in the meeting materials section before the meeeting.  For the sessions I co-chair, we make sure to get the material posted before the meeting starts. Preferably enough before that people can look at them.

Having said that, I have to disagree with the claim that there is no need to present the material.  Reading slides is NOT the same as getting a decent presentation.  And more importantly, the slides help shape the discussion.  the remind people of context. They frame the quesitons that need to be discussed.

I will agree to an extent.   I have occasionally seen brief presentations and slides that helped to frame discussion.   Mostly what I object to is devoting the lion's share of the time allotted to an author to be used for presentation, leaving only minimal time for discussion at the end.   That, IMO, is not usually an effective use of face-to-face time.  Also, slides put meeting attendees into passive mode, when what is needed is active discussion.   So sure, a few slides can be helpful, but it's easy to go overboard.

More broadly, while slides _can_ be used (sparingly) to frame discussion at a meeting, IMO they're actually more useful to summarize the document and discussion topics _before_ the meeting and/or to help participants "catch up" even after the meeting is held.

Keith