Re: [Last-Call] [arch-d] Call for Comment: <draft-iab-for-the-users-02> (The Internet is for End Users)

Hiya,

On 05/02/2020 23:51, Michael StJohns wrote:
> On 2/5/2020 6:30 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote
>> I don't recall other documents being as formal as that about it,
>> but sure, if/when the IAB decide to publish this after community
>> comment then it could be clearer that it's an IAB document, e.g. by
>> having Mark as editor as you suggest. That it is an IAB document
>> seems fairly clear to me from the filename and from the IAB
>> adoption call etc. that was sent to this list back last June/July,
>> but I guess that's a while back.
>
> Um.. yes, I know it's an IAB stream document - which does not
> necessarily imply that it is a consensus document of the entire IAB.>
> And going back and re-reading the announcement, it looks too much
> like a last call request rather than a call for "help us make the
> document better".    I'm not sure why anyone would assume that the
> IAB hadn't yet decided to publish it or something very like it.

Well, to be fair, there was a public call for comment
before the IAB adopted this.

> As far as I can tell from the published RFC's - documents that
> represent IAB consensus on a policy matter are mostly published as
> "Editor"Â  and have something that identifies how you got there: E.g.
> RFC8558 had Ted as editor and included this in the status:
>
>> This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board
>> (IAB) and represents information that the IAB has deemed valuable
>> to provide for permanent record.  It represents the consensus of
>> the Internet Architecture Board (IAB).  Documents approved for
>> publication by the IAB are not candidates for any level of
>> Internet Standard; see Section 2 of RFC 7841.
>
> Documents that are more "spec"ish (i.e. the RFC v3 format) either
> have an editor or a technical expert as the author.   And even then
> you get the same statement - see RFC8546 and 8700
>
> Those are the last three IAB stream documents published.   Going
> back further a "tech"ish document omitted the "Consensus of the IAB"
> statement - RFC6574 - simply a report from a workshop.
>
> That being said, these are all statements in the status section
> which will be different from the ID to the RFC.

Yep, the above seems (to me) like a good comment that could
be handled without having to invent some new strict process
for IAB stream document boilerplate - I'd hope that some
variation in how these things are presented/worded is ok.

> It would be
> useful for a policy document (I use the term "policy" loosely here)
> to have that consensus statement be made somewhere.  Mostly in other
> documents its pretty clear how we got there - some event, some
> workshop, some question asked at a plenary that's being answered.
>
> Here - I'm not sure what triggered the IAB into writing it and
> worse, I'm not sure what affect you want it to have on the formal
> IETF processes.  Context would be good, actionable recommendations
> would be better.

That (the question of effects) seems like a separate
point. Surely section 4 of the draft is all about
actionable recommendations though so I'm a bit confused
as to what you mean?

Cheers,
S.