Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-halpern-gendispatch-consensusinformational-02.txt> (IETF Stream Documents Require IETF Rough Consensus) to Best Current Practice

The problem is that the current rules permit the IESG to publish Informational or Experimental documents without IETF consensus on the IETF stream. This recently came up because someone thought it might actually be a good idea to do so to solve a problem. I do know of one case where it was actually done. The only way you can tell is that there is a line missing in the boilerplate of the RFC. But I see no value in pointing to that example.

The case that brought this to my attention, and prompted the document, does not exist because the AD in question agreed after discussion that using the possible loophole would have been a bad idea.

The other example I know of (the published RFC) is complicated because there was a lot of politics. So trying to analyze what would or should have happened if this rule were in place is just a game of what-if. Not useful.

Rather, by publishing this document the community is saying that no, this is not an IESG choice. The rules are fixed to prohibit it.

From your notes, you seem to be trying to figure out if changing the rule would create a problem. Given the existence of the other channels for publishing RFCs, which are NOT affected by this change, I do not see how it could be a major problem. Whereas leaving the loophole in place struck me, and others, as a bad risk. The loophole is an effect of the evolution of our processes over MANY years since RFC 2026.

Yours,
Joel