Re: [ietf-smtp] the inedible parts of IETF dogfood consumption - SMTP version

I know this is on the 'your idea will not work because' [x] list. But,
I am going to put it out there, because it came up in X400
discussions. X400 people
discussed if the security tokens across the MTA-to-MTA path were
sufficient. And, they discussed cost recovery models because it was
consciously designing for utility scale deployment in nation-states,
in a time where sendmail was the norm, and mail was paid for by the
state, for education and research.

IF we had implemented sender-pays, the SPAM problem would be radically
different. It would still be there, and the existence proof is SMS
spam.

But, I believe the intensity would be different, and the chain back to
the cause would be different. Money talks. Money leaves trails. Money
would have exposed promiscuous senders to exposure of cost. We didn't
like to talk about money and so we painted money evil, but money was
always there: we just invented a virtual world, where other people did
money and we did things, as if money had no role to play.

SPAM filter on receive, is about the worst possible way to limit the
impact of spam. In other domains of problem in the internet we discuss
things like BCP38 which are also doomed, and also stand as existence
proof that it won't work, but the idea has significant merit in this
regard: you are asked to look at your customers, and try to limit
their bad behaviour facing outward. SPAM on ingress is dropping bad
things, after the gun has fired. BCP38 and like, is trying to stop the
gun being Fired.

there. I did it. I crossed the beams into Second amendment rights. Let
mayhem ensue...

[x] your idea will not work because we are scared to revisit the past.