Re: [ietf-smtp] IETF Policy on dogfood consumption or avoidance - SMTP version

On 12/17/19 7:40 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:

I think it's always clear that local policy can override.

Emphatically disagree.   We aren't the protocol police, but the idea that local policy can degrade interoperability at will and still comply with the standards makes no sense.

Spam filters are a good example.   Poorly chosen spam filters are the primary reason that email has become so unreliable.

I believe our job as protocol engineers is to define protocols that will work reliably without operators needing to second-guess them, not to support cargo cult practices that degrade interoperability.   If operators think they need to second-guess the standards, that's something we should take notice of - maybe we as engineers haven't done a good enough job at designing and maintaining our protocols.

Keith