Re: "An open letter" signed by some IAB members

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 05:18:41PM +0800, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Yes, I agree that clarity here is good. However, "Member of IAB" is
> pretty specific, just as "Member of Parliament" is specific; it is
> clearly distinguishing the part from the whole.

Excellent and clarifying analogy.  MPs and such often speak publicly for
themselves while using their membership of whatever august/lame body
they are members of, yet no one mistakes their speech for that of the
larger body.

Since the IAB does not speak for the community, ISTM that the only ones
with authority to object are the IAB itself, and maybe its chartering
authority.

That doesn't mean that IETF participants can't object to IAB members
using their IAB membership as a credential, but it does deny those
objections weight.

Cheers,

Nico