Re: GitHub blockage in Spain

John,
On 02-Nov-19 18:59, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Friday, November 1, 2019 17:28 -0700 Rob Sayre
> <sayrer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> I wouldn't expect us to avoid holding a meeting in
>>> California...
>>>

>> This issue has been discussed before:
>>
>> https://www.ietf.org/blog/barriers-entry/
>
> Of course it has and, IIR, that discussion was what led us to
> cut back on meetings in the US until and unless things got
> better.  The questions in this case are
>
> (1) Whether there might be any issues in Madrid at the time of
> the meeting that would require the kind of examination suggested
> in that discussion.  I don't have nearly enough knowledge to
> have an opinion on it.  At the same time, while I think we need
> to be very careful about hyperbole, exaggerated conditions, or
> "fake news", I think it is important to ask the question.
>
> (2) It is not clear to me whether the (rather new) meeting site
> determination and meeting planning process and team consider it
> part of their responsibility to examine such questions, rather
> than, e.g., meeting room facilities and network connectivity.

The criteria in draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process
include:

"Economic, safety, and health risks associated with this Venue are
 acceptable."

That draft is approved and in the RFC Editor queue waiting for missing
references (the IASA2 drafts), so I assume and hope it's being applied by
IASA already.

> Whether they do or not, I think it is reasonable to ask that
> their view of their responsibilities be made clear to the IETF
> community.

Isn't that exactly why we did the mtgvenue work?

> And, if they do not, I think it is reasonable to ask
> where and how such questions are to be addressed, keeping in
> mind the risks of out-of-control discussions with a surplus of
> ignorance and excitement and a shortage of facts.

In general, it would be nice to be assured that the two approved
mtgvenue drafts are already being applied.

Regards,
   Brian