RE: Next steps on Web Analytics Project

Hi Roman,
At 12:51 PM 07-10-2019, Roman Danyliw wrote:
Section 4.1 proposes an approach to opt-out of the analytics -- "The planned configuration will only use client-side JavaScript to collect all metrics ... A visitor can prevent all web analytics functionality by disabling JavaScript for www.ietf.org in their browser. As noted in Section 1.2, a design goal of www.ietf.org is for the website to function without JavaScript enabled."

Ok.

In contrast the current approach uses network-layer information which would require a Proxy/VPN to obfuscate (but not eliminate the logging of the) client origin.

Ok.

I'd point out that the proposed collection is similar to the existing practices in production now, see Table 1. As described above, there is a robust mitigation possible to ensure this tracking doesn't occur should there be concern.

The proposed collection is likely similar to current practices (Table 1). I gather that those practices were followed well before the 2017 privacy statement. I read Section 4.3 of the document again. Wouldn't there be a possible compliance issue as there has been some changes over the last two years?