RE: Next steps on Web Analytics Project

Hello!

Section 4.1 proposes an approach to opt-out of the analytics -- "The planned configuration will only use client-side JavaScript to collect all metrics ... A visitor can prevent all web analytics functionality by disabling JavaScript for www.ietf.org in their browser. As noted in Section 1.2, a design goal of www.ietf.org is for the website to function without JavaScript enabled."

In contrast the current approach uses network-layer information which would require a Proxy/VPN to obfuscate (but not eliminate the logging of the) client origin.

> I unfortunately
> has to raise a concern about this IESG-endorsed tracking plan as I am not
> comfortable about having someone else within the IETF tracking what I read
> on the IETF web site.

I'd point out that the proposed collection is similar to the existing practices in production now, see Table 1.  As described above, there is a robust mitigation possible to ensure this tracking doesn't occur should there be concern.

Regards,
Roman