Re: [core] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-core-hop-limit-05

On Sep 27, 2019, at 14:32, Scott O. Bradner <sob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On Sep 27, 2019, at 8:24 AM, Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> .  Generally, we don’t use “updates” for specifications that merely exercise an extension point, so I don’t think hop-limit “updates” RFC 7252, but the “updates” label is in active discussion already anyway.
>
> a major advantage of listing something like this as an update is that the implementor will know about it - if there is no hint in the index entry for the old RFC that there is a related RFC it would be
> very easy to overlook

True.  For a while, we had a “roadmap” draft for CoRE (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bormann-core-roadmap-05 was the last update); maybe it’s time to resurrect this and provide a big picture for what is out there now and how it should be used.
(Now, do I get a “roadmapped-by” tag on the original RFC?)

Grüße, Carsten