RE: Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-core-hop-limit-05

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the review.

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] I will leave this one to the chairs as the authors don't have records to share.

> It seems to me that this ID should be seen as an update to RFC 7252 and
> thus it
> should say so in the header and introduction.

[Med] We didn't include an "Updates" tag because basically we don't change any text from 7252. I hope the guidelines will be better in the future with draft-kuehlewind-update-tag.

  If there is a reason that
> all
> RFC 7252 implementations should not include the hop-limit feature this ID
> should explain why an implementation should not.

[Med] The WG discussed these options: "Is hop-limit something that is (a) specific to DOTS, something that (b) it would now be reasonable to expect a proxy to add, or (c) something that every CoAP implementation should do?"

The conclusion of the WG is recorded in the draft:

   The Hop-Limit option has originally been designed for a specific use
   case [I-D.ietf-dots-signal-channel].  However, its intended usage is
   general: CoAP proxies that do not have specific knowledge that proxy
   forwarding loops are avoided in some other way, are expected to
   implement this option and have it enabled by default.

  Section 3 says that the

[Med] Noted. We already made changes to address the comment from Roni. FWIW, the updated version is available at: https://github.com/boucadair/draft-hop-limit/blob/master/draft-ietf-core-hop-limit-06.txt (a diff is also available under the same repo).

> (that
> the IANA registry does not include the option categories)  and would
> suggest
> that section 6.2 specifically refer back to section 5.10 of RFC 7252 and
> say
> that it is an extension of the table in the RFC.

[Med] No need to mention this is an "extension" of the table in 7252. The IANA registry is used to maintain the updated table.

  (side note, seems to me
> that
> the IANA registry should include the option categories)
>
> As far as operational impact, this addition seems likely to minimize
> operational issues (if it is actually used, which is what it seems to be
> that
> it should be a required part of all implementations)
>
> Other than the above observations, this ID seems ready to publish on the
> standards track.

[Med] Thank you.