Re: Planned experiment: A new mailing list for last-call discussions

Hi, Brian,

> I think there may be other places where the ietf@xxxxxxxx list is documented
> as the venue for last calls, but for the experiment, we're fine.

I agree that I think we're fine as an experiment.  What will have to
change eventually, if we keep it, is BCP 45 (RFC 3005), which is the
charter for the IETF discussion list.  It explicitly says that
last-call discussions are appropriate material.  If the experiment is
a success, we'd want to update that to change where last-call
discussions go.

> 2. Are we sure? Yes, this will reduce traffic on the list, but one view is
> that it's the most important traffic of all.

We're not sure: hence, the experiment.  But the point isn't to
*reduce* traffic, but to separate it, so people can make reasonable
choices about what discussions they want to follow.  I, as you, will
certainly follow both.  Others will make different choices.

Barry