Re: [rfc-i] IAB Seeks Feedback on Independent Submissions Editor

On 9/12/2019 3:47 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:
Hi Mike,

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 12:07 PM Michael StJohns <msj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi -

It seems like a singularly bad idea to be doing this review at this
time, given all the uncertainty with the RSE and the upcoming RPC
contract re-let.   I went looking for some mention of a term for the ISE
in the various documents (RFC's 6635, 6548 and 4846) and didn't see
anything that said more than the IAB appointed the ISE - e.g. nothing
that would indicate this needs to be done *right now*.

If you review the announcement made in October of 2017, you'll see this:

"The Internet Architecture Board is pleased to announce the appointment of Adrian Farrel as Independent Submission Editor (ISE).  This appointment is for a two-year term, beginning on February 15th, 2018."

Since his term was going to end between IETF 106 and IETF 107, we are asking for input on a re-appointment.  You'll see that the IAB of the time did similar calls for comment during Nevil's term(s).

I went and reviewed the various emails since Nevil's original appointment, and what I realized was that his "term" was directly related to his contract to perform the ISE work. He had some sort of MOU starting 10 Feb 2010.  The 2/6/12 announcement of his reappointment has him with a 3 year contract term beginning around 15 Feb 2012.  He got 2 extensions of 2 years and 1 year (the 2 year extension was granted nearly 4 months in advance), all with end/start date of 14/15 Feb.

Adrian got the appointment on 18 Oct 2017 for a 15 Feb 2018 start, but AFAIK, he's not on contract for a specific term.  (Feel free to correct me on that - I can't actually find anything that points one way or the other).   While you're correct that the appointment message said "2 year term", there's no actual underlying document (e.g. contract or RFC) that requires such a term.

It seems to me that selecting an arbitrary date for a review might be a useful approach in normal times, but now - not so much.  I think that date has been overtaken by events, and the IAB should - in consultation with Adrian of course - set a review date and term expiration date a bit further in the future, either changing that date now, or agreeing to defer setting a date until the RSE discussion is a bit more settled.

I believe it is in no one's interest to have the RSE and ISE positions both up for grabs at the same time.  If there's some underlying reason that can't be waived (e.g. contract), then let the community know what your firm constraints are.

Mike

Can I suggest we defer this to after the RSE process has made forward
progress - perhaps until say after the March meeting?    Unless of
course Adrian has asked to be replaced?

I'm happy to report that Adrian did not indicate a need to step down.  (That's why this is a call for comments, not a call for candidates).

I take it your feedback to the IAB is that making a change here is ill-timed.  Thanks for that feedback.  If you have direct feedback on Adrian's work, we will be happy to receive that as well, in the channels previously named.

Thanks,

Ted

Later, Mike