Re: tone policing

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019, Keith Moore wrote:

Even though I've disagreed with a great many messages on this thread, I haven't seen a single useless message posted to it.

That is interesting, because I feel the entire thread has drowned out in
a very American cultural point of view of Absolute First Amendment rights.

And the original point of this email thread - that we need to do better to
create a _different_ atmosphere to promote a more inclusive and diverse
IETF participation - seems completely lost.

So let's try and turn this back on topic. We seem to agree that a change
is needed and that the current "anything goes, except very exceptional
posting priviledge revocation" method is not working. Knowing that
whatever method we use can be called "censorship", what can we do that
would resolve the worst and most apparent cases responsible for most
of the the non-inclusive and unfriendly atmosphere postings that are
happening across the IETF lists?

And specifically to Keith. If you do not think a moderating function can
be implemented that you can trust or that can comply with your view of
"bad censorship", what alternative ideas do you have? And if you do not
have any ideas, doesn't it seem fair to try some ideas that do not seem
to fit your personal view of "no censorship" but seem to fit the views
of some other people on the lists?

Paul