Re: tone policing

On Sep 9, 2019, at 12:49 PM, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You misunderstand me.    I do not object to trying to be more inclusive, but I strongly object to imposing arbitrary, poorly-defined constraints on IETF contributions.

It might be worth pointing out that “imposing constraints” is really just an example of a feedback mechanism.   It is not the only possible feedback mechanism.   At present, we do not have a feedback mechanism at all.

What I personally want for a feedback mechanism is not exactly “imposing constraints,” but rather, strong and careful curation that rewards thoughtful responses and discards useless responses.   Everybody can respond.   You can respond usefully or uselessly.   But if you respond uselessly, it will be visibly evident that what you said was useless: you won’t feel satisfied.   And so people will tend to take more care in how they respond.

An example of a useless response is a response that is all tone.   An example of a useful response is a response with a lot of thoughtful content, regardless of tone.   Does this make sense?

The problem right now is that because there is no feedback loop, and because so much of what is said is useless, even if there are ten thousand subscribers to the IETF, I seriously doubt that even 0.01% of those people are actually following the discussions here carefully enough to get value out of them.  It’s just too much work.