Re: The Next Generation

On 9/3/19 4:35 PM, Rob Sayre wrote:
> Although there is value in experience, maybe the IETF should work to
> hand off some duties to more diverse younger people.

I think that the question of the next generation of leadership
is widely recognized as something we need to address, and something
a few of us are working on.  You'll find less agreement about
diversity, unfortunately, despite research results overwhelmingly
concluding that more diverse groups tend to outperform less
diverse groups along a number of vectors.

It's also been the case that some very capable new people have shown
up, looked at the organization, and decided to take their work
elsewhere.  We're also looking at why that happens, because those
people were potential future leaders, as well.

I'm not sure that targeting specific working groups or work areas
is likely to be productive, but I do think in general when chair/
editor/whatever positions open up, in any area or working group,
ADs are being more proactive than they used to be about bringing
in new people.  And it's also important for people who are
interested in becoming more involved in the organization to
volunteer for things as they open up (including things that
don't typically have openings as such, like the directorates).

So yes, it's an issue, and yes, some of us are trying to address
it.

Melinda
--
Software longa, hardware brevis

PGP key fingerprint  4F68 2D93 2A17 96F8 20F2
                     34C0 DFB8 9172 9A76 DB8F