Re: Recent threads concerning sergeants-at-arms

Hi Joel,

> On 3 Sep 2019, at 08:28, Joel M. Halpern <jmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Reading the discussion of the SAA, I wonder if part of the confusion here is the difference between the SAA managing (and working to control and prevent) seriously inappropriate conduct as defined by 3005, and the general role of a list owner to keep the list on topic and ensure that discussions are moved to where they are most effective.

Yes.  There is a world of difference between the two.

> As a hypothetical, if instead of the SAA as SAA ssending the "suggestion", Alissa had sent a note calling attention to the fact that the underlying message had requested comments to rfc-interest, and asked if the discussion could be moved there, would that have been seen as less inappropriate?  Even if one then chose (as I expect folks would have) to suggest that such a move was the wrong answer?

Yes.  The SAA function is meant to be a big stick, and this matter doesn’t warrant any stick.  And while I still would have disagreed as to where the discussion belongs for reasons I’ve already stated, I would have kept it to myself.   But I viewed pulling out the big stick as… being heavy handed.   In addition, it was the 2nd SAA issue in recent times, which also motivated my message.

Eliot