Sergeant-at-Armss and New proposal/New SOW comment period

(changing the subject line to try to avoid a nasty S/N problem)

--On Saturday, August 31, 2019 10:20 +0200 Eliot Lear
<lear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can the Sergeant-at-Arms please not be this trigger happy?
>
> This was the focus of the discussion at the administrative
> plenary, and deserves wide attention, in part because the
> matter is urgent to close, given the limited period of time,
> and quite frankly what Sarah is asking for amounts to last
> call comments.  The IETF list has always welcomed those.  Do
> we really need to reopen 3005 to make that point clearer?

Matthew,

I wouldn't have chosen "trigger happy" as a description, but I
agree with Eliot and would go a bit further.  First, as he
points out, this topic was of broad enough concern in Montreal,
and drew enough list discussion in the prior weeks, to have
dominated the administrative plenary. It is clearly of broad
concern to the community and I appreciate Eliot's comparison to
a Last Call.

There is, however, another issue: the rfc-interest list has
traditionally focused on substantive issues with RFCs and the
RFC Series, not personnel and administrative policies.  Pushing
this discussion there is inconsistent with "Discussions that
fall within the area of any working group or well established
list" because this is not clearly within the area of that list.
More important RFC 3005 clearly calls out "Discussion of IETF
administrative policies" as an appropriate posting topic and
this discussion is very much about administrative policies.

So, please reconsider your comment and back it out.  Where I
disagree with Eliot is that, if you don't consider withdrawing
your instruction appropriate, I think the appropriate action, at
least in the short term, would not be to open 3005 but to appeal
your decision.

thanks,

   john

<linuxwolf+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please note that discussion on the Temporary RFC Series
Project Manager
> SOW should occur at < rfc-interest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx >.  As per
RFC 3005,
> the general list is appropriate unless there is a more
specific venue.