Re: Sergeant-at-Armss and New proposal/New SOW comment period

I agree with others who have asked the SAA to retract his recommendation to move the discussion.

It's not easy to think of a topic more important to the future of IETF than the manner in which its output is published.   To suggest that this topic should not be discussed in IETF, but should instead be discussed in a venue outside of IETF, defies all logic.

It also prejudices the outcome.   One of the ways that US politicians manipulate elections, is by making it more difficult for people that they think will not vote in their favor, to vote.   For instance, they may reduce the number of polling places in areas that are known to be sympathetic to the other side. Forbidding discussion of management of the RFC series on the IETF list and insisting that it be discussed elsewhere, reminds me of this.   It basically says "if you want to discuss this topic, you need to jump through additional hoops", with the awareness that few people will do so.   I understand the need for someone to keep discussion civil, but I don't think it's appropriate for that person to prejudice the outcome of discussions - especially discussions that are vital to the organization's future.

More broadly, the IETF is a group of volunteers, and it's essential for an organization that relies on the creative contributions of volunteers to have trust in its leadership. The open plenary at face-to-face meetings is one of the mechanisms that has helped promote such trust, and the IETF list has traditionally served a similar function for online discussion and between meetings.   Trying to move a controversial discussion off of the IETF list has the effect of undermining the trust that several successions of leaders have spent decades cultivating. That's not to say that the IETF list could not be forked - but not without discussion, and not over a single topic of broad importance.

Keith