Re: What's the Internet's biggest flaw? (was Re: [irtf-discuss] Why do we need to go with 128 bits address space ?)

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 01:03:36PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 8/19/19 11:42 AM, Masataka Ohta wrote:
> > But, the most serious, though subtle, flaw killing the Internet is
> > in multihoming by routing.
>
> I wonder if we polled a large number of experts in various aspects of
> operating or using the Internet, and asked them "What's the Internet's
> biggest flaw?", how many different answers we'd get.

More than one answer per participant.

> (Note: IETF list is certainly not a representative sample.  And IMO there's
> not a single "right" answer to this question anyway. But I'm curious about
> how broad the spectrum is.)

Besides the ietf@xxxxxxxx list itself, my take is that the biggest flaw
on the Internet architecture is not so much in it as in the APIs that
people built.  Specifically the BSD sockets API, which should have had
an AF for domainnames from day 0.  That weakly implies that DNS should
have been there on day 0 as well.  It also implies a fair bit about OS
architecture.  But it's fair to say that the history of BSD and TCP/IP
are very closely related.

Having bind()/connect() by name would have made address portability less
important, and it would have been a much better API anyways than having
to call gethostbyname() / getaddrinfo().

Nico