Re: [irtf-discuss] Why do we need to go with 128 bits address space ?

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

There are fundemental flaws in our IP stack.

An obvious example is ICMPv6 implosion of rfc4443:

   Originating a Packet Too Big Message makes an exception to one of the
   rules as to when to originate an ICMPv6 error message.  Unlike other
   messages, it is sent in response to a packet received with an IPv6
   multicast destination address, or with a link-layer multicast or
   link-layer broadcast address.

But, the most serious, though subtle, flaw killing the Internet is
in multihoming by routing.

See

	https://bgp.potaroo.net/bgprpts/bgp-active.png

or

	https://bgp.potaroo.net/cgi-bin/plot?file=%2fvar%2fdata%2fbgp%2fv6%2fas2%2e0%2fbgp%2dactive%2etxt&descr=Active%20BGP%20entries%20%28FIB%29&ylabel=Active%20BGP%20entries%20%28FIB%29&with=step

> E2E is seriously broken (IMHO), and technologies to address are
> just not interesting enough.

Restoration of E2E transparency is an interesting research topic
with elegant solutions at least for NAT and multihoming.

Carsten Bormann wrote:

> I think we actually are spending some good effort on (2), e.g., LISP.

The problem is that LISP is another product of the committee.

						Masataka Ohta