Re: What's the Internet's biggest flaw? (was Re: [irtf-discuss] Why do we need to go with 128 bits address space ?)

Keith,

Oh, where to start? Depending on which axe you wish to grind ....

- Lack of security against criminal hacking, DDOS, etc. (although much of the blame can be spread to the end systems as well)

- Spam in all of its incarnations, including SIP-based robocalls

- Unintended side-effects of social networking and Youtube echo chambers

- Lack of real end-to-end QoS (if you're a backbone provider looking to monetize your investment)

- Traffic growing faster than revenues (again, if you're a backbone provider looking to monetize your investment)

- The death of the end-to-end principle due to NATs, other middleboxes, CDNs, etc.

The list goes on ....

Cheers,
Andy

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 1:04 PM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8/19/19 11:42 AM, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> But, the most serious, though subtle, flaw killing the Internet is
> in multihoming by routing.

I wonder if we polled a large number of experts in various aspects of
operating or using the Internet, and asked them "What's the Internet's
biggest flaw?", how many different answers we'd get.

(Note: IETF list is certainly not a representative sample.  And IMO
there's not a single "right" answer to this question anyway. But I'm
curious about how broad the spectrum is.)

Keith