Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc2031bis-05.txt> (The IETF-ISOC Relationship) to Informational RFC

Hi Joe / Andrew,

Excuse top post ---

Sorry for the delay. It has been a very busy day out in the fields.

I was referring to
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/Ugu6O_5tCnNzTUmVzIuhNFKPzbE
that Andrew referenced. That has the footnote. [1]

[1] I think of the Internet Society as comprising not just the staff
and corporate existence of the Internet Society, but all the
directly-affiliated groups as well -- the chapters, different kinds of
members, SIGs, and so on.  Since the IETF LLC is affiliated with ISOC
and, while legally distinct, remains part of the Internet Society's
corporate structure, I think of the IETF as "part of" the Internet
Society too, but in a loose way that is similar to other parts of our
community.

I note now that is not referring to the draft. Apologies for the
confusion. I was on my mobile when I read and noted the point this morning.

best

Christian

Joe Abley wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> On 18 Aug 2019, at 05:02, Christian de Larrinaga <cdel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> In Footnote of the draft it implies ISOC affiliates are included in definition of Internet Society?
>>
>> I'm pretty sure Chapters are not aware of this implication.
>
> Can you clarify what you mean by "footnote"?
see above
> I can't find the text you're referring to. I don't find the words "affiliate" or "chapter" in the draft at all, for example. You refer to a definition of Internet Society that I also can't find: it seems to me that the phrase is for used in the first three words of section 1 and isn't actually defined at all.
see above

> Are you rather suggesting that there's a reasonable inference that "ISOC" as used in the document naturally incorporates chapters and other organisations associated with ISOC, and that it would be as well to clarify that point with explicit text?
I need to read the draft itself to decide that. But given Andrew's own
interpretation if he stands by that in the text I quoted from the link
he provided then somewhere some clarification might be helfpufl.

> Thanks,
>

> Joe
best Christian
--