Re: Request for comments : IANA Policy for the Independent Stream

Hi Michael,

> If a registry is created, or an entry is created in a registry, by
> an ISE, can an IETF Standards Action document later change the rules
> on that registry (or adopt that entry?)
>
> Perhaps the correct question is, "How can an IETF stream document
> adopt an ISE created entry"

I think I can write text describing how the ISE will behave: that is,
describing the publication process in the Independent Submission Stream.

I don't think I can write text (except aspirationally, and aiming for
wider consensus) that describes how other streams will behave.

The corner case you describe does nominally exist, but is second-order in
its rarity. 1. Very few IS documents create registries. 2. Very few IS
documents are obsoleted (or taken over) by IETF documents.

A short while ago I started a thread with the other stream managers about
"crossing the streams" for exactly the case where an IETF document seeks
to obsolete an IS document. Hopefully we'll have an opinion to share with
the community in the fullness of time - but it is not a worrying or
pressing problem, and we have always handled such cases gracefully in the
past.

Curiously, a case in point (which is in no way a problem) is in hand at
the moment as the new generation of Babel documents seek to replace the
previous Experimental IS documents.

Having Independent Stream work adopted into the IETF and developed there
with consensus is a Good Thing. Nothing we do should get in the way of
that.

So, I think you are right that I should write some warm words about
transferring registry "ownership" to the IETF.

I do not foresee ever transferring ownership out of the IETF.

Best,
Adrian
--
Adrian Farrel (ISE),