Re: Request for comments : IANA Policy for the Independent Stream

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 7:43 AM RFC ISE (Adrian Farrel)
> <rfc-ise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello IETF Community,
> >
> > Several people have recently asked me what the policy is for creating or
> > modifying IANA registries using documents in the Independent Submissions
> > Stream, and from time to time a document in the stream requests allocation
> > of a code point from an existing registry.
> >
> > This document is an attempt to describe how I will act (as Independent
> > Submissions Editor) when I am asked to publish such documents.
> >
> > I would very much appreciate comments and thoughts.

> Thank you very much for writing this. I do have a question...

> "RFC8126 - IANA Considerations Section in RFCs"
> (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8126) lists "IESG Approval" as one of
> the possibilities for a registry.
> Snippet:
> "New assignments may be approved by the IESG.  Although there is no
> requirement that the request be documented in an RFC, the IESG has the
> discretion to request documents or other supporting materials on a
> case-by-case basis.
> IESG Approval is not intended to be used often or as a "common case";
> indeed, it has seldom been used in practice." -- this then lists a few
> cases, including RFC6275 and RFC5771.
> RFC8126 goes on to say: "..., it is intended to be available in
> conjunction with other policies as a fall-back mechanism in the case
> where one of the other allowable approval mechanisms cannot be
> employed in a timely fashion or for some other compelling reason."

> Your draft specifically says that "a registry whose policy is "IETF
> Review" or "Standards Action" [RFC8126] is not available to
> Independent Stream documents.", but doesn't mention what happens with
> "IESG Approval" registries. I would assume that these are also not
> available to IS documents,

That's not the case currently. One counterexample is standards tree media types
in independent stream documents. RFC 6828 section 3.1 on standards tree
registrations states:

   Registrations published in non-IETF RFC streams are also allowed and
   require IESG approval.  A registration can be either in a stand-alone
   "registration only" RFC or incorporated into a more general
   specification of some sort.

That said, I don't see anything in the document at hand that prevents
this.

> but in my view it would be entirely
> appropriate for the ISE to be able to *request* that the IESG approve
> allocation. In my *personal* view, a request from the ISE for
> allocation under the IESG Approval procedure should be given extra
> weight.

> Whatever the case, I think that the document should cover the other
> cases as well.

Seems reasonable.

				Ned