Re: Request for comments : IANA Policy for the Independent Stream

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 7:43 AM RFC ISE (Adrian Farrel)
<rfc-ise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello IETF Community,
>
> Several people have recently asked me what the policy is for creating or
> modifying IANA registries using documents in the Independent Submissions
> Stream, and from time to time a document in the stream requests allocation
> of a code point from an existing registry.
>
> This document is an attempt to describe how I will act (as Independent
> Submissions Editor) when I am asked to publish such documents.
>
> I would very much appreciate comments and thoughts.

Thank you very much for writing this. I do have a question...

"RFC8126 - IANA Considerations Section in RFCs"
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8126) lists "IESG Approval" as one of
the possibilities for a registry.
Snippet:
"New assignments may be approved by the IESG.  Although there is no
requirement that the request be documented in an RFC, the IESG has the
discretion to request documents or other supporting materials on a
case-by-case basis.
IESG Approval is not intended to be used often or as a "common case";
indeed, it has seldom been used in practice." -- this then lists a few
cases, including RFC6275 and RFC5771.
RFC8126 goes on to say: "..., it is intended to be available in
conjunction with other policies as a fall-back mechanism in the case
where one of the other allowable approval mechanisms cannot be
employed in a timely fashion or for some other compelling reason."

Your draft specifically says that "a registry whose policy is "IETF
Review" or "Standards Action" [RFC8126] is not available to
Independent Stream documents.", but doesn't mention what happens with
"IESG Approval" registries. I would assume that these are also not
available to IS documents, but in my view it would be entirely
appropriate for the ISE to be able to *request* that the IESG approve
allocation. In my *personal* view, a request from the ISE for
allocation under the IESG Approval procedure should be given extra
weight.

Whatever the case, I think that the document should cover the other
cases as well.

I'd also like to echo Andy's suggestion that you remove 'current'
(unless there is a good reason that simply hasn't occurred to us :-))

> Best,
> Adrian
> --
> Adrian Farrel (ISE),