RE: why is it still mandatary to have Jabber scribing for WG session given Etherpad can allow anyone to post questions?

Hi.

Since this has, by last count, gone on for four days and 45
messages, some quick comments from someone who was in Montreal
(and didn't touch Jabber or Meetecho) but who is usually remote
these days (in no particular order):

(1) Using the Meetecho remote queue would be a better substitute
for the Jabber "scribe" if those who are leading meetings
consistently followed the associated notification, paid
attention to them, and treated such requests fairly wrt in-room
participants.  In practice, while I think it is gradually
getting better, it often doesn't happen: many times that queue
is either ignored completely or gotten to only when all in-room
queues have drained.  Sometimes the latter is after the "mic
line" is closed, which means that the remote comments or
questions are either locked out entirely or simply aren't
injected into the discussion until after they cease to be
timely.  This is a meeting chair training, management, and focus
problem, not something that can be done with technology, unless
we want to modify the interfaces to be _really_ intrusive.  A
Jabber scribe coming to the microphone is often still not as
timely as it should be for remote people to participate actively
in a controversial discussion, but it works much better than a
Meetecho remote queue that is being ignored.  And, fwiw, the
problem is not just a rogue or careless WG chair or two -- in
the last few years, one of the "pay no attention to remote queue
requests" offenders has often been the plenaries.

(2) As someone else mentioned, following a live session and a
chat room simultaneously can be rather difficult.  That is as
much a matter of the attention and skills of the remote
participant than it is a matter of technology.  Meetecho's (IMO,
very clever and useful) mode-switching arrangements may pose
difficult choices for the remote participant in terms of what to
look at.  It may be impossible to optimize simultaneously across
tradeoffs: some people with excess bandwidth, some with a
shortage; some in private spaces and some in busy rooms; some on
small laptops, some on desktops with large screens (plural).
One thing that makes it possible to follow Jabber under those
circumstances is that it is serial -- the most recent activity
is always at the bottom/end of the transaction list.  (Alternate
IM applications would be no better but would probably be harder
to get, and say, used to before they keep being "improved".)
Etherpad (and equivalent) have many advantages and useful
features, but asking someone who is already challenged by
keeping up with the Jabber feed and the meeting in real time to,
instead, keep track on a pad that is being regularly modified in
different places... well, others may be much better at that sort
of thing than I am but I'd think it would be a major setback.

(3) Another of the issues with accommodating different types of
remote setups is that, even if bandwidth is adequate and there
are no firewall problems or other blockages is that someone may
be in a situation in which listening and watching work fine but
speaking (whether on video or not) may be impossible or
inappropriate.   If there is an alternative to typing a question
under those circumstances, I don't know what it is.

(4) There would be an advantage to everyone in the room being
logged into Meetecho, particularly because it would allow using
Meetecho to manage those who want to speak in a single,
coherent, queue rather than relying on chairs to manage a remote
queue and multiple mic lines and have their actions/ decisions
be fair and perceived as fair.  However, even if there are no
bandwidth or performance issues, there is value in knowing (even
crudely) who is f2f in the room and who isn't.  There are also
real advantages to using a real mic line for in-room
participants even if Meetecho (or something else automated) is
managing the queues.   So, if we want to go down the path of
many or most in-room participants running Meetecho, we may need
to rethink the sign-in process and interfaces a bit.

(5) To turn around something that has been mentioned, the
requirement that someone in the mic line clearly identify
themselves seems to be violated more often that not.  It isn't
just the people who don't mention their names, or don't mention
them after the first interaction in a back-and-forth exchange
(I'm sensitive to the issue and have still been guilty), but the
ones who mumble their names or speak them too quickly,  The
latter, may be worse, and the definition of "quickly", may be
more difficult if the speaking style or accent of the speaker
differences from that of the listener.  For experienced IETF
participants, being able to see the speaker in combination with
hearing whatever is said may help, but that does relative
newcomers no good at all and doesn't help remote participants
more generally if the camera is not pointed at the speaker.
Having someone on Jabber recording who is speaking can be of
huge help with this, at least unless they can't figure out who
is speaking either.  We have experimented with badge readers and
other ways to make the speaker identification process more
automatic and more reliable, but gave up on it, at least
partially out of privacy concerns.  Unless we can all get a lot
better at identifying ourselves and doing so slowly, carefully,
and clearly, maybe we need to review those decisions as
tradeoffs between privacy and requirements for openness and
transparency about who is making Contributions and influencing
decisions.

There is probably more, but I just reached my self-imposed
length limit for this note :-(

thanks,
  john