Re: why is it still mandatary to have Jabber scribing for WG session given Etherpad can allow anyone to post questions?

On 8/9/19 2:58 PM, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
Hi Bob,

On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 02:04:02PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I have looked at this thread, trying to figure out the best place to
interject my experience last November, and figure that this last will
work as good as any place...

Last November I was in a hospital bed trying to get Meetecho to work.

Between the challenges of the hospital firewall rules for patients,
being out of data on my cellular wifi account and on slow mode, besides
pecking left-handed, I did not get in.

I would have been happy with an audio feed, the slides, and jabber. But
probably jabber would not work through the hospital firewall either.
Realtime, interactive web apps like the etherpad probably would have
been miserable on that hospital wifi.  At simple web form that shows the
conversation up to now and the ability to add some to the conversation
in a RESTFUL mode (hint, hint).

We have become so use to big bandwidths and lots of data in the pipe
(see the energy saving thread here) that we have forgotten those that
want to connect with bad connectivity.

In my case, it was probably better that I went to sleep rather than
connect in when the hospital expected me to be asleep.  But still...

Perhaps remote participation instructions for those with low bandwidth
or unruly firewalls would be important to add.
The audio stream link already has a dedicated button on the agenda, next to
the etherpad link, meeting materials, etc.  So it sounds like maybe you are
just asking for instructions for low-bandwidth/constrained-access jabber
and putting the pieces together?

Things are a bit foggy about that time.  I was on pain meds...

I did not get the audio feed working.  I tried working with the hospital IT helpdesk, but they were not equiped to help patients, only employees.  This should work simply through a firewall.

I did not try Jabber.  After all these years, I really should give it a go so I have it when I am retired and sitting out in the backyard.

And try and be on the same slide as the presenter when you only have audio.  There should be some way to indicate which slide is current.  Of course most of us do not number our slides, so it is especially hard to tell a remote audio listener which slide # is current.

What I do for jabber is to run a persistent TUI client in a screen session
on a machine with good connectivity, then ssh to it from wherever I happen
to be.  Granted, the TUI client is not super great, but it is definitely
low-bandwidth for my local access!  Sometimes I am even crazy enough to be
sitting in one session and following the audio stream of another via one
earphone, and monitoring the jabber rooms for both, though this takes quite
a bit of concentration to get much value from (definitely no peeking at
email).  Unfortunately, the audio stream tends to cut out when I try to
walk from the room I'm in to the room I'm listening to; presumably my TCP
connection doesn't survive switching APs...

Perhaps something to work more on.