Re: why is it still mandatary to have Jabber scribing for WG session given Etherpad can allow anyone to post questions?

Hi Bob,

On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 02:04:02PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have looked at this thread, trying to figure out the best place to
> interject my experience last November, and figure that this last will
> work as good as any place...
>
> Last November I was in a hospital bed trying to get Meetecho to work.
>
> Between the challenges of the hospital firewall rules for patients,
> being out of data on my cellular wifi account and on slow mode, besides
> pecking left-handed, I did not get in.
>
> I would have been happy with an audio feed, the slides, and jabber. But
> probably jabber would not work through the hospital firewall either.
> Realtime, interactive web apps like the etherpad probably would have
> been miserable on that hospital wifi.  At simple web form that shows the
> conversation up to now and the ability to add some to the conversation
> in a RESTFUL mode (hint, hint).
>
> We have become so use to big bandwidths and lots of data in the pipe
> (see the energy saving thread here) that we have forgotten those that
> want to connect with bad connectivity.
>
> In my case, it was probably better that I went to sleep rather than
> connect in when the hospital expected me to be asleep.  But still...
>
> Perhaps remote participation instructions for those with low bandwidth
> or unruly firewalls would be important to add.

The audio stream link already has a dedicated button on the agenda, next to
the etherpad link, meeting materials, etc.  So it sounds like maybe you are
just asking for instructions for low-bandwidth/constrained-access jabber
and putting the pieces together?

What I do for jabber is to run a persistent TUI client in a screen session
on a machine with good connectivity, then ssh to it from wherever I happen
to be.  Granted, the TUI client is not super great, but it is definitely
low-bandwidth for my local access!  Sometimes I am even crazy enough to be
sitting in one session and following the audio stream of another via one
earphone, and monitoring the jabber rooms for both, though this takes quite
a bit of concentration to get much value from (definitely no peeking at
email).  Unfortunately, the audio stream tends to cut out when I try to
walk from the room I'm in to the room I'm listening to; presumably my TCP
connection doesn't survive switching APs...

-Ben