Re: Errata Processing Stats/Queue?

On 7/8/19 16:13, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 4:49 AM Stephen Farrell
> <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>

>     Hiya,
>
>     On 07/08/2019 12:31, Kathleen Moriarty wrote:
>     > Some ADs simply don't think errata is useful.  I handled some, but
>     worked
>     > with ADs who didn't care about them.
>
>     I guess I was one of those:-) I wouldn't say I considered
>     errata as not being useful, but I do consider most errata
>     are not useful and many are hugely time-consuming (it can
>     take an hour to acquire enough context to decide if moving
>     that comma is ok or not;-), and as a result my approach was
>     to leave errata alone unless one was discussed on one of my
>     WG's lists, or it was immediately apparent that the change
>     was good, or if someone other than the of the erratum mailed
>     me or a list to which I as subscribed (be that a WG
>     participant or RFC author or whomever) saying the erratum
>     was a good change.
>

> It's worth noting that the way we present errata significantly decreases
> their usefulness, as they are not really that obvious when one reads the
> RFC. The inline errata display project would significantly increase the
> value of errata, and at least for me, would have increased the
> importance of processing them.

While the non-IETFer may be unaware about the errata system, and simply
work from the RFC repo, processing the errata is important for at least
two reasons:

1) It relieves the folk that *Are* aware about the system to have to
figure out by themselves which of the reported errata make sense, and
which don't.

2) It serves as a basis for working on bis documents, or even triggering
bis documents.

Yes, having the tool you're referring to may be valuable. However, I
don't think it realy affects the importance of processing the errata.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks