Re: Errata Processing Stats/Queue?

On 6/8/19 19:05, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
> What we know from history (that Stewart alluded to) is that errata
> processing times are quite variable.
> The factor Stewart got hit by is the attention the AD(s) pay to it.

The part I think is not right is when reported *technical* errata don't
get processed for years.

> A factor John alluded to is, for example, when we had an interested and
> supportive individual read every RFC and note every grammatical error
> they found as an errata.

I probably know the person you are referring to. But he wasn't just
submitting errata. He would also review documents at early stages
(drafts) with a level of detail that would blow my mind (and energy ;-)
). I'm thankful for that, he did a lot to help improve documents I
co-authored before they got published.

Editorial errata on RFCs might be of less value. But I see *tecnical*
errata on RFCs as a lot of value -- and as a basis on what to patch
when/if a documents gets revised.

> And yes, it does help if WGs are responsive to errata as well.

FWIW, I do think when an appropriate WG is available, they should work
on emptying the errata queue.

Like bugs, if nobody cares in patching, why would folks care to report?

> But trying to perform statistical analysis on the numbers is likely to
> appear to tell us things that just aren't so.

Not much of an analysis, but more of a simple way to spot where there
might be room for improvement.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont