Re: RFC Series Editor (RSE) Statement of Work

On 7/27/19 6:06 PM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

However, statements to the effect of “Oh, s[h]e is just a contractor!” have apparently
been uttered in the broader context of the IETF and the various roles we have
been discussing on this list (not just the RSE).

One meaning of "just a contractor" is, basically, "expendable". Because in many situations, companies hire contractors specifically when they don't want to commit to hiring employees.

Or more subtly, I've worked as a contractor many times, sometimes for years at a time, and felt like I was part of the team - but was always treated just a bit differently.   Not disrespectfully, but in the sense of "you're not quite one of us; we're here for the indefinite future and you're not".

So if you want someone to stay around indefinitely, "contractor" is definitely the wrong way to speak of them.    That doesn't mean there can't be an employment contract, but that contract needs to be (re)negotiated by people who fully understand the value in keeping that person around and the need to treat that person well, and have the power to make that happen.

Keith