Re: We gotta stop meeting like this

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 3:55 PM Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have to say – as a first time attendee to a physical meeting – I found this to be one of the most useful conferences I’ve ever attended.

It's true that one's first meeting can be fun. It feels empowering that you can just go talk to the person who wrote the spec for something, and you generally don't have to waste a lot of time explaining things to people.

I only wrote my message to point out that this feeling can go away. Then, you're in yet another hotel in some strange city, pretending that 20 minutes of mic time accomplishes something.

thanks,
Rob

From: ietf <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Rob Sayre
Sent: Saturday, 27 July 2019 23:29
To: IETF discussion list <ietf@xxxxxxxx>; Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: We gotta stop meeting like this

(sorry for two typos, having just joined the list, let me try again)

Eliot Lear wrote:
> Here is my claim: we can fly less and be more effective.

I think one issue is that some people find IETF meetings fun. That's going to be hard to quantify. I'm sure some people really like them, and others totally loathe them.

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 1:25 PM Rob Sayre <sayrer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Elliot Lear wrote:

> Here is my claim: we can fly less and be more effective.

I think one issue is that some people find IETF meetings fun. That's going to be hard to quantify. I'm sure some people really like them, and others totally loath them.

thanks,

Rob