Re: We gotta stop meeting like this

On 25.07.2019 16:46, Donald Eastlake wrote:
I am also in favor of keeping three meetings a year.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 10:01 AM George Michaelson <ggm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

... But, there are questions inside this. What if we
met, but not all WG met 3x a year? ...

It is never the case that all WGs meet at an IETF meeting. An IETF WG
is not required to have any physical meetings at all. There have been
WGs that never met but did all their work on their mailing list.

Not meeting at every IETF sounds plausible, until you get to the point
about which meeting to leave out. Of course one could decide not to meet
when there's really nothing to discuss F2F, but for a long-going active
WG, how likely is that?

I think we really should consider reducing the number of meetings to 2
per year (at most), and then think hard how to compensate for that:

- more *virtual* interim WG meetings
- improvements to cross-area review: move last calls to a mailing list
other than ietf-discuss (good suggestion, Mark!), and also see how we
can get more review from outside of the WG *before* IETF LC

Best regards, Julian