Re: Energy saving as an IETF goal

On Jul 24, 2019, at 9:05 AM, lloyd.wood=40yahoo.co.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
encryption is a large waste of energy,
as are proof of work functions for blockchains.

It would be useful to collect some data on this.   It is not my impression that blockchain proof-of-work is many orders of magnitude more wasteful of energy than plain-old encryption.   Lumping them both into the same bucket is quite misleading.   But perhaps you have better data on this than I do, and can make this more clear?