Re: Nomcom 2019-2020: Result of random selection process

Yes, I did mean the chair does not influence the choices.  And, facilitating the process was the most general way I could categorize all their responsibilities which definitely have impact on the overall outcome.   I surely know what all that involves.  But, I personally do not think the chair's opinion should unduly influence the outcome.  I think one thing being missed here is that the most important aspect of the decision making is that it is based on community feedback and the voting members should strive to make that the primary input for their decision making.

Personally, I think we pick someone as Nomcom chair who has the trust of the community to do the right thing.   So, I don't at all think there's a concern with affiliation.  Although, as I type this, I do think we've had past Nomcoms where the chair's affiliation has influenced the outcome.  So, I'll go along with maybe this extra caution being reasonable..

Regards,
Mary.