Re: Things that used to be clear (was Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 11:19:29AM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:
> Maybe being able to have RFC5288.02 or RFC8446.02 would make it easier to get
> through the rather long post-WGLC.
>
> While we are pretty good at getting cross-area review now, and getting
> security review early, I feel that there is still too much ("last minute")
> IESG meddling^Wpush back.  It's not that I don't appreciate much of what
> gets fixed, I just wish it got fixed earlier in the process.

At Sun we had inception reviews, interim reviews, and commitment
reviews.  (I'm referring to architecture reviews.)

At IETF we have commitment reviews, naturally, but we only have
inception reviews for WGs and their initial work items, but no inception
reviews for subsequent work items, and no interim reviews.

The only way you'll get currently-late reviews to happen earlier is to
provide a mechanism for that.  That could be as simple as having a WG
chair request an interim review from an appropriate directorate.

Of course, we may not have the directorate cycles for interim reviews,
in which case we might need to improve the directorates.

Nico