Re: Things that used to be clear (was Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 12:21 PM Nico Williams <nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 08:31:47AM -0700, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> Ignoring labelling for a moment, in a number of WGs (HTTP, TLS, and
> QUIC) we have found it necessary to have full implementations and
> large-scale deployments quite early in the design process, long before
> anyone thinks that the document is done.

I had that experience in mind.

Except for QUIC (whose implementors and deployers understood and
expected to have to make backwards-incompatible changes / move to HTTP/2
and /3), HTTP/2 and TLS 1.3 didn't get widespread deployment during this
process.  But they did get some, and that "some deployment" was
absolutely critical to their success.

I don't want to nitpick about widespread, but we were seeing single digit fractions
of Firefox connections with TLS 1.3 during this period. I would anticipate that
QUIC will be similar.

-Ekr