Re: Posting and disclaimer (was Re: "Early rebid" (was Re: letters from Ted & Alissa))

Andrew,

( Not speaking as the Nomcom Chair )

I suspect there will be many opinions on this, however I will share mine in this particular case.

(1). I think within the IETF, we have, in general, had the "hat on" and "hat off" posture in many interactions with various folks in various circumstances.  I don't doubt that sometimes it may be particularly hard to not wear "a hat", but I think as someone who has participated with both a "hat on" and "hat off" posture, I think it can be done.  I think the more senior someone is, the more they need to take care that the "hat off" is really a "hat off" (I don't think it's an insurmountable obstacle).

(2). You have a long history with the IETF as a contributor, Working Group Chair, IAB member and an IAOC member.  I would be disheartened to see folks with all that organizational experience within the IETF unable to share thoughts as in individual based on a job that person may have at the moment (realizing that the ISOC President poses additional challenges).

(3).  I think your circumstance, given your a history with your IETF engagement, before you were President of ISOC, creates some differentiation from past Presidents whom may not have shared that level of participation as a direct contributor within the IETF.  Additionally, the rules and structure updates does make a large difference as well.

(4). I would like to see people with experience, and valuable input, to be able to share that input with the community in a respectful way as to help ensure we have the widest set of input (of which value can be gained).  As long as folks do not abuse it, I don't see anything wrong.  To add, if we have folks in leadership positions abusing participation rules or acting unethically, I suspect there is a different conversation to be had.

regards,

Victor K