Posting and disclaimer (was Re: "Early rebid" (was Re: letters from Ted & Alissa))

Hi Mike,

For the record, I'm not exactly sure which hat I'm wearing at the
moment, but this message does contain a reference to an Internet
Society policy.

On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 09:20:46AM -0400, Michael StJohns wrote:

> It's pretty hard to not take the above with a grain of salt. You're not just
> an ISOC employee, but the president and CEO and as such have a lot of sway
> over the funding ISOC provides to the IETF.

Ok.  So, there are two possibilities:

1.  I continue to participate as an individual sometimes, in which
case I make the above disclaimer.  (See below for why.)

2.  I don't participate as an individual.

Are you advocating (2)?  I can see an argument for it, but it's not
entirely in keeping with the IETF traditions.  (Of course, those
traditions are not timeless, and there might be good reasons to change
them.)

> I can't remember Lynn or Cathy making a "not speaking for" statement in the
> time they were in your job, but this is the third from you in last day or
> so.

It was one of the "new rules" we adopted for Internet Society staff.
I announced them in March:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/Ugu6O_5tCnNzTUmVzIuhNFKPzbE.
I'm not surprised that Lynn or Kathy didn't make such statements,
since they weren't operating under those rules.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx